Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Welcome to Singapore

Hello everyone. I decided to start a blog on here to keep you updated on my adventures in Singapore. I'll try to update it as often as possible with stories and pictures. Please comment often and keep in touch. Let me know if you have any questions. I've been here for a few days now so let me catch you up.

Kris and I got to our hostel around 1am on Monday. We had to share a queen bed that night. Needless to say, I didn't sleep the first night. We are now in a room with two beds and horrible AC. We live right by an MRT (Subway) stop, Boon Keng which takes us to a stop very close to the office in Chinatown.

The office is great and so are the people. We stopped by to say hello on Monday and they sent us out to explore. We went to Harbour Front and Orchard Road. Harbour Front has a couple shopping malls and places to eat. It was a bit overcast so the view wasn't great. I'll go back and get pictures when it's nicer out. We saw a movie there in a 500 seat theater for about $5. Orchard Road is insane. It's the shopping capital of the world apparently. Some of the malls are VERY high end and some are not. Kris and I walked into one and couldn't even afford to look around. Again, pictures will follow soon.

On Tuesday, we had our first day of work. The agency is great. It's very small and the atmosphere is terrific. The people here are awesome. There is a Pizza Hut downstairs where a pizza costs about S$20. Craziness. We ate lunch at a Hawker Center. It's like an open air vendor plaza. There is a ton of food to choose from for very low prices. I had rice with chicken, vegetable, and sausage. I'll get more exploratory as time goes on. I also had the best sesame ball I've ever had in my life. I plan on eating a lot of those while I'm here.

After our first day we went to Zouk. It's the hottest club in Singapore and one of the hottest in the world. We were guests for a private party there. It was a good time. Free booze and food is always fun even though I still can't drink because of my antibiotics. We met a bunch of people and had a great time.

This morning we had a tradition Singapore breakfast of Kaya Toast and coffee at a local shop. It was delicious. We are getting our first briefing later today. I'll keep you posted on my trip and get pictures up as soon as I can. I'll also try to keep the rest of my entries short and sweet. I just wanted to catch you up.

No comments: